A Story about a Butterfly

Short stories, good jokes,
witty sayings and anecdotes

A Story about a Butterfly

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

__1__

A man was out one day taking his daily walk when he came upon a cocoon. There was a small opening on the cocoon and the man watched as the butterfly began to force its body through it. The butterfly kept struggling to get out and, after a while, it seemed as it it wasn't making progress anymore. The man wanted to help out the butterfly with this struggle, so he took a small pair of scissors and carefully cut away the remaining shell of the cocoon.
The butterfly now easily emerged from it.

The man continued to watch the butterfly expecting that, at any moment, its wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Unfortunately neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life
crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It was never to fly in all its lifetime.

Despite of his best intentions, however through his kindness and haste he deprived the butterfly of a struggle it needed in order to become strong. This struggle was nature's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for life once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

__14__

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives.
Without tests, without facing obstacles and learning the lessons we need to learn,
we may never grow to our full potential. We may never fly.
The road to ruin is often paved with good intentions.

The conclusion is very true, however if taken to an extreme, or misinterpreted, it can be harmful, rather than helpful. Many stories of wisdom get misunderstood, despite of their simplicity and clear message. So in this case, the story does not teach us that we should never help another...
I'm saying, just in case... I'm sorry if it is redundant in your particular case.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: A Story about a Butterfly

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Nice story... my first thoughts were a bit different than yours... What crossed my mind at first were these people that simply say "Everything is as it should be, we are progressing nicely and everything had to be this way..." in response to someone trying to bring awareness to a particular subject or as an explanation as to how you should not let things affect you in any way that makes you angry or gets you down because "you can not affect change... it simply is and has to be that way".

That approach irritates me and I closely associate that type of "faith" to other religious faiths... to which I have very little tolerance because of the things that are allowed and justified through such approaches.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Daywhite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Love the story; it's one of my favorites. Yes, it could be taken by some to mean never interfere, never help. But, just as certain words mean different things in different languages, with so many never understanding any language but their first one, there are many who will never try to understand anything in a story like this except their initial reaction, or maybe simply what the words say, never bothering with what the words may mean (wow, what a sentence that was, huh?).

I understand what you mean Ryan, the comparison with religious faiths, no questions, it is as it should be. I equate that mentality to what I call blind faith. Faith is one thing; if faith in whatever helps get you by, make life a bit easier, no one else hurt, then good for you. But, blind faith, the faith that reads words as written, wearing blinders, unwilling to glance outside the initial belief, that is wrong, and, I fully believe, deadly.

This reminds me of a story I saw years ago on the news. There had been many reports on global warming, the effects man was having on the climate. This particular report was, I believe, just off the coast of southern California. The report, as they showed on camera, was about a seal population and how they were starving because the water had warmed so, the supply of their usual food supply was vanishing. I know the ocean in that area was warming anyway, El Nino coming in at that time, but even though they mentioned in the reports the effects of climate change, man's part in it, they said there would be no help offered the seals because it would be seen as interfering with nature. I was thinking, "Haven't we interfered with nature enough in screwing things up that we can't interfere a bit to help out?!!" It baffled me. I know there was much more to the story than that, at least as they may have seen it, but the basics of the story seemed clear; we can take away and destroy, but that's in a out of sight, out of mind way, a more indirect destruction. But, when asked to get our hands dirty and fix what we helped to break, yeah, that's interfering with Mother Nature. Please!!!!!
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

It is really very nice story. My associations were connected with patience. Sometimes we could be a bit more patient in observing situation before giving a hand. If the person who doesn't know to swim is in the water and there is a "Help!", then, most probably most people would immediate give their help. And, I think it is OK. But, if we watch our child doing something and trying to fix something that according to our knowledge and experience seems very simple and we think that we should help in order to make it easier to the child, that would be close to the butterfly story. Because, with a bit more of patience or eventual suggestion the child will self figure that out and thanks to that learn something and get necessary self confident for the next time.
Like in everything else, we shall act according to our main way of reactions. But, such stories definitely are very helpful because on some unconscious level they educate/influence our reactions so that we have more possibilities in each new time.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I understand... and I have the same approach... I also think it is important that people are able to ask for help rather than just expecting people to understand they need help and to help them without having asked.

But what about in the butterfly's case... or the Earth... what about things that can't ask for help in so many words? When do we stop being patient and jump in the water to save them?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Ryan wrote:...

But what about in the butterfly's case... or the Earth... what about things that can't ask for help in so many words? When do we stop being patient and jump in the water to save them?

For things that can't ask for help...tout de suite, Ryan, tout de suite...
But, as far as I understood butterfly case and earth are different, aren't they? According to my understanding of the story, I gave my answer in my first post. But according to your question about the Earth, this one here, always and in every situation and without hesitations.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to Witticism