Re: A modern day hero: Julian Assange

Postby mirjana » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Thank you, Jade. =0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Azur » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 am

A very interesting debate on july 2 between JA and Slavoj Zizek...

http://www.frontlineclub.com/events/201 ... zizek.html

Cheers
Azur

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Stranger - Albert Camus
Favorite movie: Le salaire de la peur - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Things I like: Travelling, music
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 4

Postby mirjana » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:35 am

Wow Azur! Thank you. This is great material. I know a little something about Slavoj Zizek, and to be with such two free minds is a beautiful experience. I have just started listening to this, and as it is a long material, I shall continue tomorrow and then turn back here again.
To be at the very source of the true and not manipulated information is a crucial thing today for opening eyes to as many as possible people to see things as they are.
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Thank you azzurro (I'm assuming that you are indeed Italian <3 ) =0)

I have wanted to follow this case, however I have found that my professional life has come into unexpected and unintended conflict regarding same. =0(

They're wee little girls and I will alwyas be their Zia - however they are still young enough to want to clinb up and have lap cuddles <3 <3 <3

I hope you, Ryan and the family are all well - I know we're not that close friendship-wise; however I do visit and think of DS often when I am not is a posting mood.

Thank you,

Rachel xo
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Rachel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 am

What a random and nonsensical post - I wasn't aware that this had been posted this in an actual thread. Not sure what's up with that 80S

Anyhoo, don't mind me and my tech issues, sorry for any other hijacking of threads/topics that's happened.
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Azur » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm

yes it is longish...but I think it's worth taking some time to watch it. I like it how they make more explicits the aims and the action of wikileaks...

Thank you azzurro (I'm assuming that you are indeed Italian )

you're welcome =0) I'm not Italian though
Azur

Postby Sabina » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Dear Azur,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.

Rachel,
Remember the sexual allegations you asked about?
I think the entire development of the Julian Assange topic here on DS is a wonderful demonstration of the Why.
Why something like that had to happen to him eventually. Why the attempt to soil a human's name and reputation. Why someone "had to" come up with such allegations sooner or later.
We (or anybody) start to talk about Julian Assange and Wikileaks and eventually the "sexual allegations" question will come up.
As a (natural) result the conversation transforms into a "is he guilty or is he not" debate and the person themselves (Julian Assange) and all the achievements are completely left behind.

Azur put us back on track with his addition and I am grateful for that.
I have watched the entire 2 hours of the debate, even though I wouldn't call it that. Perhaps rather an extended interview with the two? Slavoj and Julian were a very good team, and I must say that Slavoj was a delight to listen to.
Lots of information and I warmly recommend watching this to anyone.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Azur » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Here is what happened in the latest episode of the sexual abuse allegations...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... complaints

Anyway, it is pretty obvious that Wikileaks is facing a well structured campaign aiming at preventing its functionning: Visa, Mastercard an Paypal's blocking of payments, troubles hosting the internet site...and this sexual complaint is most probably part of it.

I wonder why JA has not been killed yet. A lot of people in the US are calling for it. It wouldn't be a problem for the US government or any other for that matter to organise such an assassination. I heard somewhere that he had made arrangements for things to be published in case something happens to him. This would mean that for his own security he has to keep some things secret.
Azur

Postby mirjana » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Once more time, thank you for this beautiful conversation between Slavoj and Julian, supported with great presence of Amy Goodman(interesting name <3 ).
Sabina said it nice, you brought us back on track.
The way both have mentioned Bradley Manning is crucial for me. Julian said that there are people who become stronger under the thretening and stay faithful to their moral showing the strength of their character. For him Manning is such a guy.
Slavoj thinks that the hope for this world is in such ordinary people who by decision become heroes deciding that their life is less important than the truth that can safe humanity.
I agree with both of them and I think that Slavoj´s suggestion that such people should be nominated for Noble Prize is a great idea. If that would be possible...
mirjana

Previous

Return to Civil Courage