A modern day hero: Julian Assange

A forum dedicated to people who
are trying to make a difference.

Postby Sabina » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 pm

A interview with Julian Assange from July 2010.

Julian Paul Assange, born 3 July 1971, is an Australian publisher, journalist, software developer and Internet activist. He is the editor in chief of WikiLeaks, a whistleblower website and conduit for worldwide news leaks, with the stated purpose of creating open governments.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: A modern day hero: Julian Assange

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Bravo for putting this here in DS and for finding the name that suits the best. [El] [El] [El]

What else to say. For all the job he and his comrades have been doing for making positive changes in the world, he deserves at least from others to contribute to spreading these news.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Rachel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

What were the sexua lallegations against him?
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Ryan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 am

What I have found out about the "sexual allegations" in connection with Julian Assange is that there was a lot of indecision in the beginnings of this incident... too many... in my opinion. I would suggest to just wait it out...

As I understood it, Julian Assange was in Sweden and got together with a woman... they had sex and the condom broke. Which didn't seem to be a big deal because he and the woman were noted being together for several days/occasions afterward. During this time he meets another woman and after a couple of meetings they have sex... once with a condom, once without. A couple of days later both women show up at the police station to press charges. Supposedly they confirm that the act of having sex was consensual but they feel abused because of the condom issues... or lack there of. The first woman claims he deliberately broke the condom.

And that is the issue at hand... as far as I could find out... Anyway, it all sounds very wishy washy to me... I have looked around a while and there isn't really a lot of information... mostly hearsay.. but then again... that makes sense. I don't know much about the laws in Sweden... nor much about their judicial system... however, most of the time the courts aren't going to want too much information leaking out about a case before it goes to trial...

I am curious as to how this is all going to pan out... but it is possible not much is going to be said about it... good lawyers can keep a case tied up with technicalities for ages before it all actually goes to court... and being that Julian is currently holed up in the UK in order to avoid being arrested and extradited to Sweden... I don't foresee it moving along very quickly any time soon... and it could all be settled out of court in which case it will remain a "word against word" situation... whomever has the best press coverage wins!! (or fan base)
80S
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:28 pm

When I heard of the "sexual allegations" (the phrasing.....) what crossed my mind is the recipe on how to destroy a (hu)man.

First you destroy their name, e.g. their reputation.... this can be accomplished by various means. Sometimes rumors alone suffice!

The rest is usually a piece of cake.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Good point Sabina.
There is a proverb that goes something like this:
"First you put the shadow over the person, and than you make a shadow from the person."
I do hope and want to believe that he is enough strong and with enough support from the progressive people that it will not happen to him.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:52 am

Thinking a bit more about this situation... it is the "moment of truth" for Julian and WikiLeaks... As I put more thought into it I realized that this is the perfect setup to "scratch the others' back"... you know what I mean? I mean... I imagine Julian Assange to be a bit between a rock and a hard place at the moment... the UK government is the only thing between him and Sweden... right? I can imagine all kinds of deals being offered to him in order to keep him from being gift wrapped for Sweden in return for a blind eye for the UK's involvement with things here and there... or maybe even to help show things through the UK government's eyes from time to time...

So... will he sell out in order to save his own backside...? Or will he stick to his guns and possibly go down with the ship (in the worst case scenario)...

These "sexual allegations" things always remind me of a movie where the prosecution has a psychologist take the stand as their expert witness and after he says what he was put on the stand to say the defense had their chance to cross examine... and of course the best approach (if possible) is to discredit the witness... because then everything they said/say is a load of bullsh*t. So the defense brought up the fact that the psychologist had been arrested for rape... of course the defense attorney didn't give him the chance to explain and that is the last thing that was implanted in the jury's minds about the psychologist and his testimony. Of course the prosecution was outraged... and then the psychologist explains... when he was 19 he was arrested for being sexually involved with a 17 year old... they were high school lovers who were later married and were, to that day, still husband and wife.

I love that story because... if you are honest with yourself... and you passed any kind of judgment about a person in regards to an event where you knew you didn't have enough information... you should take a look at yourself as to why you jump to those conclusions. They are not just... that is how lynch mobs get formed... and innocent people are harmed or killed... or the corrupt get support from the masses... a lack of information... listening to one side of the story...

Anyway... Like I said... the moment of truth! Will he get sucked in or will he stand up and stay true?! That is my interest in all of this... I personally don't think anything solid is going to be known about the "sexual allegations"... but we'll see!
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Rachel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks people, appreciate the clarification. I rarely watch the news because I simply cannot be bothered sorting the minute fact from fiction, haha.

Julian Assange seemed to me however, to be doing a great thing by promoting independant thought about the world and world events. I know nothing about him as a person - and think that the current tales of his legal battles due to the sexual charges against him realistically need have minimal impact on what message his website was trying to bring to the world.

I will say though, that any report of sexual misconduct requires a thorough and fair investigation.
Rachel

Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Can anyone update me on this situation? Again, I rarely keep up with current affairs - I'm far too lazy 80S
Rachel

Postby Jade » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Ryan wrote:Thinking a bit more about this situation... it is the "moment of truth" for Julian and WikiLeaks... As I put more thought into it I realized that this is the perfect setup to "scratch the others' back"... you know what I mean? I mean... I imagine Julian Assange to be a bit between a rock and a hard place at the moment... the UK government is the only thing between him and Sweden... right? I can imagine all kinds of deals being offered to him in order to keep him from being gift wrapped for Sweden in return for a blind eye for the UK's involvement with things here and there... or maybe even to help show things through the UK government's eyes from time to time...

So... will he sell out in order to save his own backside...? Or will he stick to his guns and possibly go down with the ship (in the worst case scenario)...

Good news Ryan. It seems he is not ready to sell out just yet....

Julian Assange, founder of the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks, has been given a date for his appeal against extradition to Sweden, where he faces claims of sexual assault.

A two-day hearing is due to start at the High Court in London on 12 July. Mr Assange, 39, is appealing against a ruling by a district judge that extradition would not breach his human rights.
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Kudos: 7

Next

Return to Civil Courage