A Laughing Matter

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

A Laughing Matter

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Maheep (theadvertheretic) posted the below story in the Friendship between Men and Women topic. If you haven't already read it, here it is again... my questions are below the story.

I have heard about three Chinese mystics. Nobody knows their names now, and nobody ever knew their names. They were known only as the "Three Laughing Saints" because they never did anything else; they simply laughed.

These three people were really beautiful--laughing, and their bellies shaking. And then it would become an infection and others would start laughing. The whole marketplace would laugh. When just a few moments before, it was an ugly place where people were thinking only of money, suddenly these three mad people came and changed the quality of the whole marketplace. Now they had forgotten that they had come to purchase and sell. Nobody bothered about greed. For a few seconds a new world opened.

They moved all over China, from place to place, from village to village, just helping people to laugh. Sad people, angry people, greedy people, jealous people--they all started laughing with them. And many felt the key--you can be transformed.

Then, in one village it happened that one of the three died. Village people gathered and they said, "Now there will be trouble. Now we have to see how they laugh. Their friend has died; they must weep."

But when they came, the two were dancing, laughing and celebrating the death. The village people said, "Now this is too much. When a man is dead it is profane to laugh and dance."

They said, "The whole life we laughed with him. How can we give him the last send-off with anything else?--we have to laugh, we have to enjoy, we have to celebrate. This is the only farewell that is possible for a man who has laughed his whole life. We don't see that he is dead. How can laughter die, how can life die?"

Then the body was to be burned, and the village people said, "We will give him a bath as the ritual prescribes." But those two friends said, "No, our friend has said, 'Don't perform any ritual and don't change my clothes and don't give me a bath. You just put me as I am on the burning pyre.' So we have to follow his instructions."

And then, suddenly, there was a great happening. When the body was put on the fire, that old man had played the last trick. He had hidden many fireworks under his clothes, and suddenly there was a festival! Then the whole village started laughing. These two mad friends were dancing, then the whole village started dancing.

It was not a death, it was a new life.

It's a very nice story, but it made me wonder about myself and my views of laughing.
Specifically it reminded me of two things:

1) Laughing "courses". People get together, start laughing forcefully at first, then the laughing begins to take its own course. They exercise their laughing muscles more, and just by laughing, even though it is for no reason at all, they feel better.

2) A long time ago someone I was in love with said "I laugh all the time".
    That scared me... so I let him know what that means for me. Basically this is still my view today, so that is also the reason I am opening this topic.
In my opinion, only an idiot can laugh all the time. Hence, a line like "I laugh all the time" coming from a person I'm in love with (but hadn't met yet), sounded like something that might have changed the course of our relationship.
When I met him for the first time, he could indeed not stop smiling, he had an ear-to-ear big smile on his face - non-stop. He calmed down eventually, and later we got married.
=0@
So, based on his usage of the line "I laugh all the time" I could conclude that he rather meant "I smile/laugh a lot", but then things like these laughing courses and the above story about the 3 mystics really make me wonder. I liked the story very much, but I saw it as an illustration, but what if it wasn't just an illustration?

Laughing is wonderful, and I love to laugh... but is laughing they key to happiness or a little known spiritual technique? This is where it gets a little confusing, for me, as I see laughing only as an expression of what is on the inside. Even when I am extremely happy, I cannot smile all the time, because my cheeks would hurt.

What are your thoughts on laughing as a technique, an expression, and an approach to life in general?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: A Laughing Matter

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Have you ever felt that much of you is stowed away in a locker inside of you and that you wish to break inside and let it free?

If you have, then the key is there in laughing.

Laughing is a sudden burst of energy that spams throughout the embodiment of your soul and mind together. It is the agreement of a confluence of existential hope as well as the value of life.

I have gone across a scientific periodical quite some time ago, which mentioned that the largest intake of oxygen is through laughing. Point - Sudden survival is easily meted with.

Thus, I believe laughing enliven you and adds to a much better sensitivity (juvenile [existing in a near birth stage] working of your organs) of things where it becomes easier to ward of the negativity and you find an emotionally delinquent (in the very true sense of being irregular).

"If we laughed we wouldn't have to be blunt".
=0X
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

theadvertheretic wrote:Have you ever felt that much of you is stowed away in a locker inside of you and that you wish to break inside and let it free?

As a matter of fact I did, however that was a long time ago, and I did let it free eventually. :)
In my case it wasn't through laughing, but I definitely believe that there are millions of ways of achieving the same or similar results.
If I understood your words correctly, you are rather an advocate of laughing as a technique, is that correct?
If so, then how does that work for you in real life? How does it manifest?

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Laughing embodies emotions and emotions are not a technique, what you have experience and liked cannot be a technique.
"Realizing that you have a soul that is worth it, is laughing."

=0@
महीप

theadvertheretic

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 pm

=0)

Ok.. so do you laugh all the time, I mean literally?
If no, then why?

Sabina
Sabina

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I am morose at times too. =0(
महीप

theadvertheretic

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Maheep,

You wrote (and I like the sound of it, by the way):
"Realizing that you have a soul that is worth it, is laughing."

So you laugh, but, you said you are sometimes morose as well.
Is it because at such times you don't realize that you have a soul that is worth the laughter?

You see, the way I see it is that laughter is certainly an expression of an aspect of our inner beauty, however I don't believe it to be the only expression nor the only way. I also don't believe this inner beauty to be something that can be expressed in only one way.
For me, the emotion that comes the closest to the expression of inner beauty is a state of bliss. However, feeling bliss doesn't provoke me to laugh all the time, not even to smile all the time, not on the outside. My eyes may smile more than my mouth actually. My nose may smile too. :))

Bliss is expressed through every fiber of our body, and laughter is - in my opinion - only one on many possible declarations of bliss.

Sabina
Sabina

Postby dermot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:37 pm

i was going to say ...what a strange topic, but i changed my mind.

i have read somewhere that even forcibly cracking your mug into a smile, helps release endorphins which will actually bring about some mood improvement.
I like to laugh, there are times when i love to laugh, there are also times when melancholy feels ok, for a while at least. I like to watch the different emotions on peoples faces, i can be drawn to sadness as much as mirth.
I'm not sure what the story says, to be honest i would probably walk away from a situation where there was too much 'laughing'.
Having said that, i treasure my sense of humour and the smiles it brings....so im not a 'kill joy' .
dermot.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Laugh as a remedy, yes. As much as possible, but spontaneously as a result of a healthy humor resulting from words or situations. I love both.
When it is like that, then it is the most beautiful way of relaxation and therapy.
I also love to laugh, but I cannot stand people who fake laugh, and this also happens often and this is sad. In both cases, when one fakes laughing as a protective mask or laughs for practicing healing effects of laughing, saddens is behind, in the first case as a cause and in the second as an affect.

Maybe therefore Kahlil Gibran wrote:
On Joy and Sorrow
Kahlil Gibran

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater thar sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Mirjana, its amazing to read total wisdom, his words seem ethereal.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Return to Spirited Debate