7 Questions

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Re: 7 Questions

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 am

Sabina wrote:1. [Y]ou witness a car accident in which one party is clearly to blame. Do you stop and offer yourself as a witness even though you are late for an appointment?

I had no idea that I should stop by law, as Holly said. Is that worldwide?
At any rate, if it's nothing grave I probably wouldn't stop. If it is grave, I would stay.
Being late for an appointment doesn't affect the decision much either way.

Sabina wrote:2. [T]idying up, you find an opened letter to your teenage son/daughter. Do you read it?

Probably yes, in which case I would also let them know that I read it, even though that might not be very "wise".

Sabina wrote:3. [Y]ou are smoking at a meeting. Someone is coughing and showing discomfort. Do you finish your cigarette?

Yes, I finish it. They can ask me to put it out. If they ask nicely or just mention their discomfort in a polite/normal manner I would definitely put it out. If they immediately attack, I would probably continue smoking.

Addition: I just realized that I imagined this to be a situation with people I don't know at all, so complete strangers. With people that I do know I might even ask "Do you mind?", without even thinking about it...

Sabina wrote:4. [Y]ou are at a dinner party and hear a distinct CRACK as you settle into an antique chair. The hostess is in the kitchen. Will you later tell her what happened?

Yes, I would.

Sabina wrote:5. [A] friend has a severe case of bad breath. Do you mention it?

Ha... this is a tougher question for me than the others so far...
Holly's solution is nice, if you happen to have a mint in your bag, which I usually don't. Heidi's answer made sense as well, that would almost make it a loving duty to tell them. However, I have been in this situation and didn't say anything. Why? Because the person was aware of that problem, and it did have to do with their stomach. Since I knew that, and knew that my telling them wouldn't really change anything, and I didn't have a mint to have either, then telling them would have only made them feel worse.

Sabina wrote:6. [Y]ou and your mate expect loyalty and honesty from one another. One night, out of town, you have a fling. Do you tell?

Yes, definitely.

Sabina wrote:7. [A] friend's fiancé/e is flirting with you. Do you tell your friend?

Yes...
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Daywhite » Thu May 06, 2010 8:40 pm

1. [Y]ou witness a car accident in which one party is clearly to blame. Do you stop and offer yourself as a witness even though you are late for an appointment?

I've witnessed car accidents, but unless it seemed someone may be hurt, I simply continued on my way. So, would I offer myself as a witness? No. Would I offer to help if someone was hurt? Yes.

2. [T]idying up, you find an opened letter to your teenage son/daughter. Do you read it?

I like Ryan's reasoning on this. If I have no reason to distrust my child, then, no, I wouldn't read it. If, however, there had been hints of trouble, perhaps something brewing, then, I may, depending on the severity of the supposed situation, read the letter.

3. [Y]ou are smoking at a meeting. Someone is coughing and showing discomfort. Do you finish your cigarette?

If I were smoking at a meeting, I would hope someone would pour water on me, because I would be on fire, since I don't smoke cigarettes =0@ But, seriously, folks...if something I was actively doing was causing another discomfort, and it wouldn't hurt me to stop, I would stop, putting the cigarette out.

4. [Y]ou are at a dinner party and hear a distinct CRACK as you settle into an antique chair. The hostess is in the kitchen. Will you later tell her what happened?

Depends how well I know the hostess or whether I like her. If it's someone I like, I would tell, being sincerely sorry. If it's someone I don't like, for whatever, I probably wouldn't tell. The again, if I were at the party with friends, I would call a friend over, and ask them to sit in the chair, mentioning how comfortable it was. Once they sat down, and the chair cracked, as it would, I would say, "Oops, are you going to tell?" B0)

5. [A] friend has a severe case of bad breath. Do you mention it?

Depends how close of a friend. If it's simply a co-worker or an acquaintance, then probably not. I would simply avoid them, not really caring what someone else may thing of them. If it's a close friend, yes, I would tell, not for my benefit, but realizing others would certainly notice and not wanting them to feel embarrassed.

6. [Y]ou and your mate expect loyalty and honesty from one another. One night, out of town, you have a fling. Do you tell?

As Holly says, kind of pointless to have a fling if you're going to tell. So, my answer would depend on whether it's a true fling, a one-time thing, never to happen again. If so, no, I wouldn't tell. If, however, I felt it could develop into something more, or that I may have deeper feelings for the flingee (or would she be the flinger?), yes, I would tell. It would appear the original relationship was in more trouble than possibly imagined, so it would be something needing discussion.

7. [A] friend's fiancé/e is flirting with you. Do you tell your friend?

If I know that she is only flirting with me, then depending on the degree of flirting, I probably wouldn't tell. Because I know that it's not going to go any further, because I control whether it does. If, however, I've noticed her flirting with other men, other friends, I would tell my friend. Maybe he's okay with it, maybe he's not, but I would at least let him know.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby peaceandlovegirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:49 am

1. It depends. Honestly its really difficult for me to do things like that because I'm not always sure what to do in situations involving cops. So if I really needed to go to this appointment and there are other witnesses there already then no. But if there are no other witnesses I'll probably stick around

2. No, thats a total invasion of privacy that I personally would not want anyone to do to me.

3. Yes, for sure.

4. Yes, I would feel so guilty man.

5. It depends. If this were a close friend then yes. If it were a not so close friend then no. It also depends on often this happens because if it is just a one time thing because they ate something particularly oniony then there isnt really any point of telling them but if this was a problem that happened alot I wouldnt hesitate to let them know.

6. Well I'm not the kind of person who would have a fling in the first place so if I were that kind of person then its hard to say if I would tell or not. But I'm just going to say that probably yes, I would tell.

7. Yes
peaceandlovegirl

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: The Scarlet Letter
Favorite movie: V for Vendetta
Things I like: Studying other beliefs and religions from my own, listening to classic rock, having conversations with people, discussing religion and politics.
I love watching really good movies like Fight Club, Across The Universe, No Country For Old Men, Taxi Driver, V For Vendetta and Let the Right One In.
I'm an artist, a pacifist, a patriotic American, an anarchist, a hippie and a christian.
I am obsessed with The Beatles.
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 0

Postby pernicious » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 am

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. No.

5. No.

6. Yes.

7. Yes.
pernicious

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Girl Interrupted
Favorite movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Things I like: Carousels, Music, Psychology, Sleeping, Day Dreaming, Staring, Observing, Drawing, Writing, Learning, Photography, Internet, Hands, Eyes, Body Modification, Paranormal, Imagination, Philosophy, Sociology, Insomnia, Mind, Body, Art, Clowns, Roller Derby, Babies, Contacts, Words, Breathing, Dogs, Snakes, Moose, Sloths, Sphynx, Perfume, Bones, Veins, Hospitals, Red, Blood, Cities, Victorian, Gothic Cathedrals, Pale Skin, Olive skin.
State of Mind or Tendency: Worried

Postby kelly224 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 pm

1. You witness a car accident in which one party is clearly to blame. Do you stop and offer yourself as a witness even though you are late for an appointment?

I would stop to be an eyewitness if someone was seriously hurt, or has been killed.

2. Tidying up, you find an opened letter to your teenage son/daughter. Do you read it?

No.

3. You are smoking at a meeting. Someone is coughing and showing discomfort. Do you finish your cigarette?

I would put it out.

4. You are at a dinner party and hear a distinct CRACK as you settle into an antique chair. The hostess is in the kitchen. Will you later tell her what happened?

Yes, because I don't want anyone to get hurt.

5. A friend has a severe case of bad breath. Do you mention it?

I'd offer gum casually, or if it's a really close friend I'd tell them.

6. You and your mate expect loyalty and honesty from one another. One night, out of town, you have a fling. Do you tell?

I would, my conscience is too heavy.

7. A friend's fiancé/e is flirting with you. Do you tell your friend?

Yes, and if they don't believe me I'd make sure to keep my distance from then on.
kelly224

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Total Self Confidence
Favorite movie: Martix Trilogy
Things I like: music, books, drawing

Postby ANURAG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:33 pm

1. I would stop to be an eyewitness if ITS fatal accident.
2.<I am still 19.> I won't read it.
3. I must and i will stop.
4. yes
5.Yes.
6.No (with a promise that i wont break her trust again).
7. YES.
ANURAG

Favorite book: GITA
Favorite movie: WEDNESDAY
Things I like: BOOKS AND MOVIES WHICH LEAVES A QUESTION FOR YOU TO THINK UPON.

Postby ANURAG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:33 pm

1. I would stop to be an eyewitness if ITS fatal accident.
2.<I am still 19.> I won't read it.
3. I must and i will stop.
4. yes
5.Yes.
6.No (with a promise that i wont break her trust again).
7. YES.
ANURAG

Favorite book: GITA
Favorite movie: WEDNESDAY
Things I like: BOOKS AND MOVIES WHICH LEAVES A QUESTION FOR YOU TO THINK UPON.

Previous

Return to Imagination Exercises