1st class economy..3rd world ideology

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

1st class economy..3rd world ideology

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 am

I happened to run across this chart the other day and found it very interesting. As a citizen in the U.S. it always amazes me how the rest of my countrymen can be so delusional when it comes to the supposed "greatness" of this country. Where do we get the audacity to judge other countries for human rights viloations ? Does anyone make a case for the juvenile death penalty ? Are there any exceptions you would make to allow a death penalty for children under 18 ? It would appear every other country in the world outside of those listed here could not .
death_penalty_for_juveniles.png
death_penalty_for_juveniles.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 54561 times
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Re: 1st class economy..3rd world ideology

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 am

Wow! Are those actual executions or the number of under 18 year old sentenced to death?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 am

Ryan wrote:Wow! Are those actual executions or the number of under 18 year old sentenced to death?

Yea it was a site I was on the other day and found that chart fascinating , so I copied the image onto computer with intentions of sharing here, and lost the link in the following days. Im looking for it now with out much luck. It almost looks like the list of countries who dont use the metric system. =0@
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:38 am

Interesting observation... so maybe it all revolves around the frustration of not being able to simply calculate measurements through multiplying or dividing by 10, 100, 1000. etc.... possibly...?
80S
Ryan

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:15 am

No , no. I was just thinking, "another example of our 3rd world mentality" . On a short list with more 3rd world nations , and its not for something positive .
ubermensch

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah, I understand... I was just playing around...
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm

ubermensch wrote:No , no. I was just thinking, "another example of our 3rd world mentality" . On a short list with more 3rd world nations , and its not for something positive .

I have come across various individual stats, according to which the USA is comparable to third world countries on many levels, and not just in this regard.
You wrote: "1st class economy..3rd world ideology"
I am not sure about the "1st class economy" either...

Here are just a few of these charts.

Life Expectancy vs Health Care Spending in 2007 for OECD Countries.
Life_expectancy_vs_spending.png
Life_expectancy_vs_spending.png (16.73 KiB) Viewed 54537 times

Another important factor... The more unequal the society, the worse the problem generally.
Violence is more common in more unequal societies.
income-inequality-homicides.gif
income-inequality-homicides.gif (14.25 KiB) Viewed 54537 times

From the source for the above graph, the Equality Trust notes that, "The link between inequality and homicide rates has been shown in as many as 40 studies, and the differences are large: there are five-fold differences in murder rates between different countries related to inequality. The most important reason why violence is more common in more unequal societies is that it is often triggered by people feeling looked down, disrespected and loss of face."

I love this next example, because it's so very ironic.....
It compares social mobility (the ability for someone to move up the social ladder, escape poverty etc) with inequality:
social-mobility.gif
social-mobility.gif (12.25 KiB) Viewed 54537 times

It may be surprising to see the US at the low end of social mobility when it is touted as the land of dreams and possibilities for anyone, no matter who they are. The UK is also surprisingly at the low end.

It goes on and on...
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I agree completely Sabina. It seems the only people our country has fooled as to their superiority, is its own people. Its as if I am in the land of denial, people that have aligned their sense of self so closely with the reputation of their country that they are willing to lie to themselves about their country in order to feel good about themselves. Although I can not blame them entirely , the media and politicians should shoulder much of the blame, and in order to be able to point the finger at the propaganda machine which is our media. We would have to be able to point at the people responsible for televisions content. And we both know what happens when you try to do that. Not necessarily to point out their Jewishness ( because the people in charge of these things are a very small group who are only concerned for themselves and other super rich like them), but to point out that there are people who benefit if the populous can not think for themselves. If manipulation could be considered "genius" and i dont see why it couldn't be , then they, the media conglomerates, have done a genius job in fooling the masses into believing that the U.S. is the greatest in the world. We have been divided and conquered on so many fronts here that its ridiculous. People giving up privacies and rights to be protected from "terrorists" whose headquarters are in a cave on a mountaintop , and yet our people believe their freedoms are threatened by this "group" of goat herders who have no army, navy , and their "air force" is a ticket they buy from planes in our public sector . Its silly to think that a nation could be fooled into thinking such foolish things. I'm almost embarrassed by our ( U.S.) ignorance, but this is what happens when society allows restrictions to be set on what questions are deemed appropriate, or when people who have the insight to see thru illusions don't take the responsibility to inform there fellow countrymen.
ubermensch

Return to Psychology