"Friends of Bill"

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

"Friends of Bill"

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm

I thought I would just share this with you guys and gals. A lot of my philosophy of life and what little understanding I have of spirituality are in great part inspired by my long time participation in the 12 step program Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Part of the philosophy of AA is that the only requirement for success in "The Program" to overcome lifes compulsions and addictions,is the capacity to be honest with ones self.

I go to at least 3 meetings a week and listen to people sharing their "Experience, Strength & Hope" in meeting the challenges of Alcohol and Drug Addiction.......and life.

AA is not at all about "Religion", but it is where I learned a little about spirituality and the opportunity to grow in this journey we seem to be on.

The wisdom I hear coming from the mouths of teenagers who have embraced the principles of AA, beaten addiction and now face life squarely and bravely is inspiring and absolutely miraculous. .....and I suspect straight from "God".

These meetings reinforce for me the belief that during the darkest hours of our stuggle on this journey we are often inspired to open our minds and spirits to a new way. It answers for me some of the mystery why God allows "bad things" In our lives. Perhaps that is the only way to learn from this journey we are on.

Thinking of the topic of another post "Empathy" gives some meaning to the symbolism of ajesus dying on the cross for us .............. or suffering for us. Although I think it is analogy, if there is a God (whatever) that cares about us and has real empathy for us, he is a very brave God. =0o
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Re: "Friends of Bill"

Postby dermot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey George,
i was pretty sure you were a friend of Bills!...i could see a lot in your posts that i was sure came from 12step thinking. I thnk the whole idea behind the 12step programme and how one man recognised that the only way he was able to stay sober was as a result of sharing his story with another sufferer of addiction.
Its an amazing and real life success story built around the struggle with addiction. My father was an alcoholic as was my first wife, and i know first hand what a struggle it is for anyone unlucky enough to be affected. Speaking of those affected, family members, children, and others are directly affected by the disease of addiction, and as a result face a lifetime of stuggle themselves. Most of them bear the scars of living within an affected situation.
Good to hear your truth,
dermot.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm

If it was not for AA, I would have died a long time ago, at least in spirit and probably in fact. <3
GenerousGeorge

Postby mirjana » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Thank you George for loving us. Your stories that are coming from life experience and honest and direct way you share them with us is a pure manifestation of love for humanity. It teaches about openness and fearless. It is inspiring for me as it motivates me to be braver in my openings.
I gave you Kudos for it.

Mirjana
=0)

mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Mirjana.....often it's do as I say not as I do. =0o Progress, not perfection. <3
GenerousGeorge

Return to Psychology